A bridge is mentioned as early as 1227: three structures imperfectly aligned and often carried away by the waters of the Loire. The Grand Pont crossed the navigable arm, on the city side, to Île-aux-Bœufs. In 1535, it was built of stone. The Notre-Dame bridge, made of stone in 1550, joined Île-aux-Bœufs to a second island where the Notre-Dame du Bout-du-Pont chapel stood. Finally, the small Official’s Bridge joined this island on the left bank, to the south.
It was decided to build a single bridge, the design of which would be entrusted to Louis de Règemortes, engineer of the turcies and levees of the Loire, who had just completed the bridge that now bears his name at Moulins and that he had specifically designed to withstand the high floods of the Allier. The 1763 project considered that the main bridge, representing the northern part, was in sufficient condition not to require reconstruction. The southern part, which replaced the other two bridges, was built between 1770 and 1778. But the old northern part collapsed during the great flood of 1790 and was replaced by a temporary wooden bridge that lasted until 1832 and the completion of the northern part, with the addition of seven additional arches2, in the same style as the southern part.
The bridge is made of Coulandon sandstone and is 350 m long. It consists of 14 arches flanked by strong piers that have perfectly withstood the great century-old floods of the 19th century.
The bridge crossing from the south offers a panoramic
The bridge crossing from the south offers a panoramic view of the city, one of the most represented views. In addition to the bridge and the Loire, you can see the quays, the walking trails along the river, the cathedral of Saint-Cyr-et-Sainte-Julitte and the Goguin tower.