Church of St Peter
In 1572, Louis de Gonzague brought in the Jesuits to give them the town’s college. In a classical style, the façade is composed of two superposed orders, Doric and Ionic. Two niches house the statues of the Virgin and Saint John the Baptist, former patron saint of the church. Above the entablature, the frieze presents the instruments of the Passion.
The trompe-l’oeil frescoes were created at the end of the 17th century by Italian painters. On the vault of the choir are the scenes of Ascension and Pentecost. The cohort of the chosen ones surrounding the Holy Trinity and the Virgin are present on the dome. On the four trunks, the evangelists are evoked with their attributes. In the Chapel of the Virgin Mary there is the Virgin of Revelation and in the three cartouches there are the Annunciation, the Visitation and the birth of the Virgin Mary. Finally, the glorification of Saint Francis Xavier, patron saint of the Order, takes place in Saint Peter’s Chapel.